ASSOCIATION FOR INFORMAL LOGIC AND CRITICAL THINKING (AILACT) ESSAY PRIZE
AILACT invites submissions for the 2018 AILACT Essay Prize.
- Value: US$500
- Papers related to the teaching or theory of informal logic or critical thinking and papers on argumentation theory will be considered for the prize.
- There are no restrictions on authorship. Authors need not be members of AILACT.
- Previously unpublished papers and papers published or accepted for publication between 1 January 2015 and 1 September 2018 are eligible. Maximum length: 6,000 words (exclusive of footnotes and references).
- Entries will be assessed on the basis of their argument, scholarship, style, and importance to the field. There is a limit of one entry per author.
- To submit a paper, send a PDF (preferred), MS Word, or RTF document to Derek Allen (email@example.com) with a cover note giving your name and mailing address and AILACT Essay Entry as the subject line. Please send the paper ready for blind-reviewing (the author must not be identified on the paper or file containing the paper or in the description of the document’s properties that is part of the file, and self-identifying references must be removed from the text, notes, and references). Each page after the first should be numbered.
- The deadline for receipt of submissions is 1 September 2018. The winner will be announced by 15 December 2018. AILACT will publicize the name of the winner on its Web site and at AILACT sessions held at APA divisional meetings in 2019.
- The prizewinning paper, and any “honorable mention” paper, is eligible for consideration for publication in Informal Logic if it has not already been published or accepted or committed for publication elsewhere, if it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere, and if the author consents to its consideration for publication in Informal Logic. The editors of Informal Logic will arrange for blind review of the paper if these conditions are met. The author will be expected to revise the paper in the light of the reviewers’ suggestions or to justify not doing so.
- For further information about the essay prize, contact Gilbert Plumer (firstname.lastname@example.org). For information about AILACT, visit https://ailact.wordpress.com/.